armyBuriram progressed to the next round of the Toyota League Cup at the expense of Division 2 Army FC.However, it was a far from impressive 1-0 victory, captain Tunez scoring the only goal.

Coach Gama rested a number of first team players to give fringe players an opportunity to impress.Striker Kayne Vincent was given his first start and Theprian was handed the keeper’s jersey.

Lack of goals has been a real problem and it was an ideal opportunity for Vincent to stake a claim for a first-team place.Unfortunately he wasted two early chances and never posed a real threat.

Army in their camouflage shirts gave a good account of themselves, though Theprian didn’t have a real save to make. They did create the game’s best chance in the first-half but the ball flew well wide.

Buriram were unable to put the Army defence under real pressure, giving the ball away far too frequently.Apart from a couple of early chances, they failed to create clear scoring opportunities.

The first-half was pretty forgettable and the interval came as a welcome break. The second-half continued in the same vein, though things did improve with the arrival of Theeraton as a substitute.

Free-kicks and corners became more of a problem for the Army defence and it was no surprise when Tunez sent a towering far-post header into the net from a left-wing Theeraton corner.

Buriram threw on Diogo but the Brazilian fared little better with just one attempt on goal which was easily saved. Army never really looked like scoring and Buriram easily held on to their lead to the final whistle.

Although there were many changes to the team, the players who came in should’ve been far too good for their lowly opponents. Once again Buriram failed to score from open play and it must be a real worry for the coach and supporters alike.

Let us hope that we see a different Buriram when they travel to Korea in the Champions League on Wednesday. That is followed by a league match at home to Navy on Sunday, April 26th, 6pm.