Buriram failed to score for the third successive home game as Army United deservedly claimed all three points. The visitors were good value for their win as they stretched Buriram’s defence repeatedly throughout the game.

It is not only a lack of goals that is a major concern. Buriram are chopping and changing formation and personel at the back and no-one seems to know what they are supposed to be doing.

The sight of Buriram being caught on the break is nothing new. It happened many times last season but then they had fifty-four goals from Macena and Diogo to rely on. Now it’s hard to see where the next goal is coming from. Yong, Kaio and Weslley are simply not good enough and it is putting pressure on other players. I lost count of the number of times Suchao had no-one to give the ball to in this game.

Seul-Ki is a pale shadow of the player who was running games from the centre of midfield with raking passes all over the pitch. Tonight Buriram gave the ball away too often and even when they did manage to retain possession for any length of time , there never looked like there was going to be an end-product.

The loss of Koravit at the back has been almost a big a blow as the loss of Diogo. Buriram must sort out their defensive problems, and soon !

Buriram reverted to three at the back . with Nattapol playing on the right and Suree on the left. Kaio came in up front and Nookoolkit into the midfield, along with Suchao, Anawin and Narubadin.

Army showed their intent in the first minute when a break down the left resulted in a shot which was straight at Siwarak. Three minutes later Narubadin was fouled on the left and Suchao’s free-kick found Tunez who sent in a good header which was well-saved by the keeper.

From Suchao’s corner, Tunez’s looping header was again saved and from the resulting corner Tunez headed wide. In the tenth minute Buriram had a great chance to take the lead when Suchao’s lovely through ball sent Kaio clear on goal but the Brazilian fired wide.

A minute later Buriram had a huge let off when a twenty-five yard shot hit the post with Siwarak beaten. Six minutes later the Buriram defence was again caught out but fortunately the Army striker made a complete hash of his attempt on goal.

Soon after, Army had the dedfence struggling to get back in the twenty-fifth minute but the shot was eventually blocked. Three minutes later Buriram finally put together a good move down the right but Anawin’s excellent cross was wasted.

On the half-hour mark Kaio got free down the left but he failed to look up before delivering a low cross which was nowhere near waiting teammates.Shortly after , Buriram replaced Nookoolkit who was having a horrendous game, with Supachok.

After thirty-eight minutes a dreadful mistake allowed Army to break and they had five against two but the eventual shot was just wide of the far post. Four minutes before the break, Supachok picked the ball up just outside the box but his curled shot was just wide.

Shortly after, Suchao sent a free-kick into the Army wall and the ball rebounded clear and left the visitors with a two-on-two situation but Siwarak saved at his near post.

So another disappointing half and it was difficult to see Buriram scoring, other than from a set-piece. Kaio was replaced by Weslley for the second-half.



Buriram made a bright start and when Siwarak found Seul-Ki, the Korean in turn fed Supachok who sent a delightful ball into the box but Weslley was just beaten to it by the keeper. The Buriram defence was then caught all-at-sea in the fiftieth minute but Siwarak was quickly out to save with his legs.

Five minutes later , Army again broke quickly ,leaving the defence struggling to get back but this time Tunez managed to get in a saving tackle. The visitors finally got the goal they had been threatening in the sixty-sixth minute. A goal kick down the left was then played inside and Suree slipped, allowing Sanukran to run on and beat Siwarak with a good low shot, just inside the far post.

Buriram then replaced Narabudin with Sathaporn as the visitors appeared content to defend their advantage . Buriram pushed forward and in the seventy-seventh minute Supachok sent Weslley away down the left and he pulled the ball for Seul-Ki who was free in the box, but his low shot was blocked.

The home side were being allowed to attack at will but Buriram showed few ideas of how to break down the Army defence. Numerous crosses were delivered into the box but despite Tunez playing as an extra forward, the Army defence had little trouble dealing with the aerial bombardment.

Deep into stoppage time Weslley had a great chance to salvage a point but sent his shot high over the bar. To be honest, it would have been an injustice had he scored. Buriram got what they deserved……..nothing.

Buriram now face in-form Bangkok Glass on Sunday May 22, in Bangkok, kick-off 8pm.





By Juninho