Thailand to launch new 10 year multiple entry visa for over 50s
Foreigners in Thailand will soon be able to apply for a 10-year visa.
First proposed in November 2016 as a way to promote Thailand as a medical and wellness hub, Thaivisa understands the 10-year visa was this week formally approved by the Prime Minister.
The new Non O X visa will be available to anyone who is over 50 years of age and from one of the 14 countries listed below.
Applicants will need to have a minimum 3 million baht in a Thai bank account, or a combination of 1.8 million baht in the bank and income not less than 1.2 million baht.
The 3 million baht must be kept in the bank as a deposit for a period of one year but can be reduced to 1.5 million under certain conditions.
Criminal background checks are required on all applicants, who must also have valid medical insurance from a Thai insurance company for the duration of the visa.
Foreigners are not permitted to work while staying in Thailand on the visa and 90-day reports are still required.
The visa will cost 10,000 baht and will be valid for 5 years, before being renewed for a further 5 years.
The new Non O X visa will be available from 11 August, with an official announcement expected imminently.
The Non O X visa does not replace the current annual retirement extension.
Thailand 10 year visa in brief:
– Over 50s only
– 14 nationalities eligible: Japan, Australia, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Italy, Netherlands, Norway, Switzerland, Sweden, Great Britain and Northern Ireland, Canada and United States of America.
– Minimum 3 million baht in Thai bank account
– or combination of 1. 8 million in the bank and income not less than 1.2 million
– 3 million baht must be kept in account for one year, can be reduced to 1.5 million under certain conditions
– Criminal background check from country you hold passport
– Health insurance provided by Thai company, Outpatient coverage minimum 40,000 baht, Inpatient coverage not less than 100,000 thousand baht
– Not permitted to work
– Unlimited entry valid for 5 years
– Fee is 10,000 baht
– 90 day report still required.
– Visa issued in two 5 year periods
Source: Thai Visa News