The Thai Meteorological Department (TMD) issued a warning at 4am today (Wednesday) alerting the public to the possible impacts of tropical storm ‘Mun’.
The TMD reported that the tropical storm is moving west from Hainan Island at a speed 20 km/hr and will make landfall between northern Vietnam and China by July 4th. It is predicted that the storm will bring with it torrential rain and strong winds over Thailand, especially in the North, the Northeast, the Central and the East.
“People should be aware of the severe conditions that may cause flash floods. Travelers should follow the weather updates closely” says the TMD’s warning.
It also listed areas that may be affected by the storm:
- North: Chiang Rai, Phayao, Nan, Phrae, Uttaradit, Phitsanuloke, Tak, Sukhothai and Phetchabun.
- North East: Loei, Nong Bua Lam Phu, Nong Khai, Bueng Kan, Udon Thani, Sakhon Nakhon, Nakhon Phanom, Mukdahan, Kalasin, Yasothon, Roi Et, Maha Sarakham, Amnat Charoen, Chaiyaphum, Khon Kaen, Nakhon Ratchasima, Si Sa Ket and Ubon Ratchathani.
- Central: Ratchaburi, Kanchanaburi, Uthai Thani, Nakhon Pathom, Nakhon Sawan, Lop Buri and Saraburi.
- East: Nakhon Nayok, Prachin Buri, Sa Kaeo, Chachoengsao, Chonburi, Rayong, Chanthaburi and Trat.
- South: Phetchaburi, Prachuap Khiri Khan, Chumphon, Surat Thani, Ranong, Phang Nga and Phuket.
- North: Chiang Rai, Nan, Phrae, Uttaradit, Phitsanuloke, Tak, Kamphaeng Phet, Phichit and Phetchabun.
- North East: Loei, Nong Bua Lamphu, Udon Thani, Nong Khai, Bueng Kan, Sakhon Nakhon, Nakhon Phanom, Mukdahan, Chaiyaphum, Khon Kaen and Kalasin.
- Central: Ratchaburi, Kanchanaburi, Uthai Thani, Nakhon Pathom and Suphan Buri.
- East: Sa Kaeo, Chonburi, Rayong, Chanthaburi and Trat.
- South: Phetchaburi, Prachuap Khiri Khan, Chumphon, Ranong and Phang Nga.
The TMD added that small vessels should not go to sea in either the Andaman Sea or the Gulf of Thailand due to the southwest monsoon that will bring strong winds and wave heights of 2-3 meters.
(Source: – Thai PBS)